After an amazing experience supporting Boro, Hillside Community Church (in partnership with Hungry For Life) has adopted our second Kenyan village, Seje, for another community transformation project. We are begining year three of a 2 - 3 year committment to Seje.
Below are details of our progress.
Goals accomplished in 2011
- Completed the 5th classroom at Seje, including watertank rain retention system
- Outfitted 200 children with enough textbooks to cover 5 grades and 4 subjects
- Installed a set of soccer goal posts and helped clear a new sports field
- Equipped 4 schools with soccer jerseys and soccer balls
- Held 2 Sports Days for close to 500 children
- Huru packs (reusable sanitary towels) were distributed to 99 school aged girls; enabling them to attend school throughout their menstrual cycle
- Health education was given to 180 school children at Seje
- Feeding distribution of beans and corn to feed 173 people for a month
- Visited two orphanages, providing clothes and gifts for close to 40 children
Primary Goal accomplished in 2012
The need for clean drinking water is the highest priority and the greatest need in the community of Seje. Seje has no local water supply and they suffer from a rain shadow effect that means their precipitation is much less than the surrounding region. Children from Seje typically will walk two or three times a day, 2 - 3 km, to fill 5 gallon buckets with water that comes from a mud hole or about 5 km to a small river. Drilling for a clean source of water typically reduces disease in rural communities by over 50%. In addition, the ability to water crops throughout times of drought will help increase food security and combat hunger and malnutrition.
Before proceeding with our other goals of investing in agriculture in the region, the drilling of a water well has become the highest priority. We have secured assistance from the Kenyan government for this expensive project.
Our Other Goals accomplished in 2012
- Sent a team in the fall of 2012 (medical care & local outreach)
- Continued connection and support of the local school
- Home Market Gardens (training program for bio-intensive farming)
- Training Bursaries and initiatives for local community leaders and pastors
Interested in Going to Seje?
In late February we will have an information meeting about the next trip. Contact our office for more details.
Aroma of Africa Fundraiser
Each fall we have a wonderful time focusing on Kenya. Our church is transformed with African decor, we have a silent auction, decadent desserts and great entertainment. Our next event will be held on November 17, 2012.